John Robert Kernodle Senior Center
1535 S. Mebane St.
NOTICE:The Kernodle Senior Center is closed to the public until further notice. No indoor programs, activities, or room rentals are currently taking place. But please see modified outdoor and virtual resources below.
The John Robert Kernodle Senior Center offers an array of activity for all adults age 55 and over. Due to COVID, the Senior Center remains closed to the public with most programs suspended. A limited number of activities are taking place virtually or in-person (with COVID precautions in place). Check out what's happening below:
What's Happening Now
- Burlington/Alamance Senior Games. Registration is open for the Burlington/Alamance Senior Games that will be hosted from April 5 through May! The Games will be modified to ensure COVID-safe practices are in place. Registration closes March 11, 2021. For information and registration info click here or call the Center at 336-222-5135.
- Virtual (Zoom) Programs. Meet virtually to stay connected through community gatherings and exercise classes hosted by Kernodle Senior Center staff and volunteers. For more information click here.
- Senior Outdoor Adventure Recreation (SOAR). Join the SOAR group for weekly, small-group hikes around Alamance County. Participants need a completed medical form signed by a doctor and waiver on file prior to participation. Get more information, download forms and see the schedule of activities by clicking here.
- Senior Activity Books. Sign-up to receive a paper activity book created by the Burlington Youth Council. Books will include activities such as word searches, crosswords, mazes, coloring sheets, recipes and more. As a special bonus, each member of the Burlington Youth Council will incorporate something original into the book like a letter, poem, or piece of art. To sign up to receive an activity book in the mail, click here.
- Resources available to Seniors during COVID. Kernodle Senior Center has compiled information for seniors to stay active, fed and engaged while staying safe at home. View the resources by clicking here.
Kernodle Senior Center Virtual (Zoom) Programs
Information About Using Zoom for Programs
To participate in a Zoom, you need a computer, tablet or smartphone with a camera on the front, an email, and Wi-Fi. If you've not used Zoom before, it's recommended that you try using Zoom prior to joining a KSC Virtual Program so you are familiar with how it works. Try using it for a family meeting or visiting with friends. Need some extra help learning to use it? Watch a how-to video here or visit the Zoom website for additional information on getting started.
One-Stop Active Senior Exercise Class
Every Tuesday, starting February 9 at 10:00 am for 6 weeks.
Free. Click here to register (via Google Form). You may join at any time during the 6 weeks.
The class will be a combination of aerobic and resistive exercise, with balance and stretches exercises to finish. So, it's a one-stop program, that hits all the components of fitness. We will do some chair exercises and use bands, weights, or improvised weights - whatever people have at home. If someone only has a chair, that will work too. Instructor Liz Bailey will give several versions of exercises so you can match the exercise to your level.
The Generation Chat
Monday, March 22 at 6:00 pm
Free. Click here to register (via Google Form).
This Zoom Call will be an opportunity for seniors in the Burlington area to chat with local Burlington Youth Council members. Members will explain their Spring Community Service Project, Senior Activity Books, and chat with seniors about other topics. After completing the registration form below, you will receive an email within the next business day that will contain the link to use to access the Zoom Generation Chat.